Our Decision to Homeschool


...and no, it's not out of fear.


No, I'm not afraid my children will get deathly ill from the coronavirus by returning to school. The schools are laying out plans to keep kids and staff safe. 


No, I'm not mad at the governor for using our kids as political hostages if things don't go her way...I'M PISSED! BUT that's not why I'm homeschooling.


I'm homeschooling because I trust God to give me the wisdom I need to raise my children in a manner that's pleasing to Him and His Kingdom.


Public schools are not what they used to be. Or maybe I'm just getting older and understanding the system more clearly? The Community School I withdrew my children from for the next year is the same school I went to K-12. My dad handed me my diploma because he was on the school board during that time. My high school Math teacher showed up to the cemetery when my husband and I buried our twin boys, because teachers care beyond just a few years. The teachers my kids have had in their elementary years were teachers when I went to school. The community we are a part of are some of the fiercest advocates for our children. They "discuss loudly" any displeasure with the system and jump into action when change is needed. I was very pleased with my education, I've been pleased with my kids' education. But I can't deny or set aside the realization God has placed in my heart over the past year.


Yup, God's been placing homeschooling on my heart for a year, or better. But it took a pandemic, race riots, and progressive political agendas to wake me up to what's being taught in our public schools, and more sadly, in my community (I'm working on another post to address these topics).


It wasn't an easy decision, I have serious FOMO, and so do my kids. But with the current regulations in our state for opening schools, the unknowns of if they will be switching from in-person to distance back to in-person learning, and all the instability...they really won't be missing out on much. It's inevitable that my 5th Graders expectations would go unmet in the school, so I will make new expectations and try my hardest to make sure those are met!


My dad has always taught me about loyalty. If a business or person buys from your business, buy from them, if possible. Support those who support you. So when it comes to school, my loyalties run deep. This school educated me, gave me the confidence to enter the real world, and provided me with lifelong friendships and connections. But today, I have to choose my kids mental and emotional well-being over my own prideful loyalty. God is the head of our family, and for too long I have been loyal to too many other things.


Today, the work begins. Today, my loyalty switches completely to my Creator, unabandoned. Today, I choose our faith over our fears. Fears they might miss out on something. Fears I won't be able to educate them well enough. Fears of insecurity, instability, and so much more. Today, we begin our next chapter, and we're so excited!