Classroom Motto {for this school year}



In high school I had this crazy, awesome math teacher. He wasn't any ordinary crazy, awesome math teacher; he was a caring, crazy, awesome math teacher. He was also football coach, father/husband, and Christian. I found out last week that he retired this year. His name is Mr. B.

He is one of two teachers that impacted my education, faith, and life in general. Not just a math teacher to me, he was also my advisory teacher (kind of like a homeroom teacher or study hour teacher but for all four years). I spent a lot of time learning from him.

So when it came time to encourage my kids in their studies, a motto Mr. B taught me was the obvious choice. So we made it our motto for the school year. Which led to us naming our homeschool, coming up with a mascot, and starting on our yearbook.

"In the classroom,
WORK HARD
So that when it's time to play,
your mind is clear,
which allows you to
PLAY HARDER"

For 20 years (or more? I don't remember what year he said this to my class) I have always remembered this. When I struggled with focusing in college, I remembered this. When I was tempted to do only what was absolutely necessary to get the good grade, I remembered this. When I was done with the assignment(s) I felt good knowing I did my best and worked hard so that my mind was clear and I knew I could relax and have fun. I still do this in my life, but focus more on the verse of Colossians 3:23; 

Whatever you do, 
work at it with ALL your heart, 
as working for the Lord, 
not for human masters. (emphasis mine).

So, this has become our classroom motto. Our motto for the school year. Maybe even our motto for our family for the rest of our life! 

Thanks Mr. B! Even though you're retired your impact, your legacy, continues!

Comments