Faith Based Learning



For our curriculum this year we chose Masterbooks. This company makes sure to incorporate God and a faith based worldview into each lesson. 

I'm loving this curriculum for my kids, who have always been public school educated. In Masterbooks, lessons are laid out for a year of learning and there is little prep I have to do for each lesson. This is a complete time saver for this first year homeschool mama. Having their core subjects laid out so nicely has allowed me the freedom I need to incorporate supplemental materials to the lessons and other units that will be fun for them and stretch their learning in new ways. 

Each morning, before we begin our school day at 8 am, each kid has to do personal devotions. At 8 am, we have a character trait that we talk about that is accompanied by a Bible verse. I got this idea because of a book I read over the summer called Counter-Cultural Parenting by Lee Nienhuis. On her website, Lee provides a day by day character calendar.  (click the link and almost to the bottom you will find this calendar.) I find this to be a great tool for teaching my kids the traits they should have in life because these are characteristics of God! We call this time our CT Scan time - a time to scan our heart, from all angles, and look deeply into our heart to know and learn more about ourselves and our God!

And just as I was about to publish this my son had a question on his science where he was learning about the brain. When I went to help him I saw this...

Our planned-by-me units will include genealogy, man-made in Michigan, and our election unit - all of which will include a faith-based learning component!




Comments