Am I Doing This Right?


Often times, over the past few weeks, I have asked myself..."Am I doing this right?" I have talked with friends who are homeschooling and read through Facebook posts to find out if I'm alone in this. I'm not. All people feel that way at some point, that we are all alone and no one could possibly understand what we are going through. To some, those thoughts are just your mind and emotions playing tricks on you. For me, and most Christians, we recognize those thoughts as the devil trying to wriggle his way into our life, trying to make us doubt ourselves. So, when it happens, what am I to do? Well, I take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:5) 

When I hear the devil speak 'you can't do this', I remember capital T-Truth from Philippians 4:13 which tells me "For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." and from Ephesians 6, I'm reminded to "Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm." (verse 13) and then to "Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere." (verse 18)

Remembering this can be difficult. It's easier to keep the negative thoughts rolling; it's easier to sit and have a pity party and wallow in our depression. BUT, the Lord has called me to higher thinking. God has given me the ability, through the His peace, to turn my thoughts around. 

When I start questioning if I am "doing this right", I turn my heart to prayer and to God's Truth. I am quickly reminded through my prayers that He knew all this before I was formed in my mother's womb. He knew I would struggle and that it would test me and stretch me and, most importantly, it would GROW ME! This IS growing me. I'm learning to trust God in new ways. I'm teaching my kids to trust God in new ways. 

I'm smiling. Today I have won the "thought battle" because my heart is focused on God.



Comments